Foreclosure and Certified Delinquent Questions Explained
- Q. I am interested in purchasing foreclosed property. Are there any public auctions held for foreclosed properties in Hamilton County?
- A. Yes. The Hamilton County Sheriff’s Office, by court order, auctions both mortgage defaulted & tax foreclosed properties weekly. The Hamilton County Auditor’s Office auctions tax foreclosed properties not sold at a Sheriff’s Sale once a year.
- Q. When & where are the sales?
- A. Sheriff’s Sales are every Thursday at 11:00 A.M. at the County Courthouse located at 1000 Main St., Room 260. The Auditor’s Sale is once a year in June and typically held at the County Administration Building located at 138 E Court St., 6th Floor Room 605 at 8:30 A.M.
- Q. Where can I obtain a listing of foreclosed properties?
- A. The Sheriff’s Office maintains a listing of properties at www.hcso.org. The Auditor’s Office maintains a list of previously unsold tax-foreclosed properties on this webpage, www.hcauditor.org. Another resource is the Cincinnati Court Index, the daily legal periodical for the Hamilton County courts. Foreclosed properties are in the Monday & Tuesday’s editions.
For subscription & participating selling locations, contact:
Cincinnati Court Index Press, Inc.
119 W. Central Parkway
Cincinnati, OH 45202
- Q. What happens to the properties that do not sell at the auction?
- A. Tax foreclosed properties offered for sale twice & not sold at the weekly Sheriff sales are offered for a third time at the annual Auditor’s Forfeited Land Sale. This sale is every June. All properties to be sold are advertised in The Cincinnati Enquirer & The Cincinnati Herald in May of each year. Properties not successfully sold at an Auditor’s sale are re-offered the following June.
- Q. What are “Tax Lien Certificate” sales?
- A. In October of each year, the Hamilton County Treasurer’s office sells Tax Lien Certificates against eligible tax delinquent properties. For more information, call the Hamilton County Treasurer’s Office at (513) 946-4820 or visit their website for frequently asked questions & answers at